Nieuwe recepten

Black River Pearl

Black River Pearl


We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

  1. Huis
  2. Drankje
  3. Cocktails en sterke drank

4.5

2 beoordelingen

14 februari 2017

Door

Het personeel van de dagelijkse maaltijd

Dit afrodisiacum plengoffer is perfect voor Valentijnsdag

Foto en recept met dank aan D'USSÉ.

1

Porties

199

Caloriën per portie

Ingrediënten

  • 1 1/3 delen D'USSÉ VSOP Cognac
  • 1/2 deel benedictijnse likeur
  • 1/2 Deel Japanse pruimenwijn (Umeshu)
  • 2 streepjes grapefruitbittertjes
  • 1 Scheutje chocolade bitters

Routebeschrijving

Combineer alle ingrediënten en roer voorzichtig.

Schenk in een tulpenglas.

Voeg voor de garnering kleine bloemen toe.

Voedingsfeiten

Porties1

Calorieën per portie199

Suiker11gN/A

Koolhydraten14g5%

Calcium6mg1%

Foliumzuur (voeding)0,7 µgN/A

Foliumzuurequivalent (totaal)0,7 µg0,2%

IJzer0.3mg1.7%

Magnesium9mg2%

Niacine (B3) 0,2 mg 0,8%

Fosfor17mg2%

Kalium81 mg2%

Natrium6mgN/A

Zink0.1mg0.8%

Heeft u een vraag over de voedingsgegevens? Laat het ons weten.

Tags


Zwarte rivier

De Black River heeft een belangrijke, maar veranderende rol gespeeld in het leven van de inwoners van het noordoosten van Arkansas. Voor de vroege indianen die in het gebied woonden, was het een essentiële voedsel- en transportbron. Dit bleef zo ​​voor Europese kolonisten in de dagen vóór wegen en spoorwegen. De rivier was ook een essentiële "snelweg" voor de platbodems en rivierstoomboten die mensen en goederen van en naar het gebied vervoerden. De rivier ondersteunde de ontwikkeling van de lokale industrie als middel om hout uit de bossen te verplaatsen naar plaatsen zoals de Sallee Brothers Handle Mill in Pocahontas (Randolph County), terwijl de mosselvisserij parels en parelmoer leverde voor de lokale knopenindustrie voor vele jaren. Hoewel de rivier niet langer als vervoermiddel fungeert, blijft het een belangrijke recreatieve plek voor jagen, vissen, wandelen, vogels kijken, varen en meer. Batesville (Independence County) advocaat en schrijver "Fent" Noland verklaarde in 1839: "Het land boven White River en de Black is voorbestemd om het beste in Arkansas te zijn. De natuur heeft alles gedaan wat ze kon, de mens doet de rest.”

De bron van de Black River ligt in het zuidoosten van Missouri. Het wordt gevormd door drie rivieren, stroomt naar het zuiden en steekt de grens met Arkansas over in Clay County, ten noordoosten van Corning. Van daaruit stroomt het over het algemeen naar het zuidwesten en gaat het door het Dave Donaldson Black River Wildlife Management Area (WMA), door Randolph County naar Pocahontas en naar beneden naar Davidsonville Historic State Park. Het kruist Lawrence County net boven de stad Black Rock en gaat verder naar het zuidwesten naar de gemeenschap van Powhatan (Lawrence County). Van daaruit stroomt het naar het zuiden door de Shirey Bay-Rainey Brake WMA, steekt de zuidelijke grens van Lawrence County over en vormt de oost-westgrens tussen de graafschappen Independence en Jackson. Het draait uiteindelijk naar het zuidoosten en komt de White River binnen bij Jacksonport (Jackson County), net ten noorden van Newport (Jackson County). De zijrivieren van Arkansas zijn de rivieren Little Black, Spring en Strawberry, en met zijn verbinding met de White River maakt het deel uit van het stroomgebied van de Mississippi. The Black heeft tal van scherpe bochten, vele met kleurrijke namen, zoals Deadman en Hole in the Wall in het Davidsonville Historic State Park-gebied, samen met de Box Factory, Battle Axe en Dead Mule-bochten in de benedenloop van de rivier.

De rivier en de WMA's waardoor deze stroomt, bieden volop mogelijkheden voor jagers, vissers, wandelaars en natuurliefhebbers. De belangrijkste vissoorten erin zijn largemouth bass, crappie en meerval. De jacht op eenden, eekhoorns, herten, konijnen en kalkoenen is populair langs de route, en zowel de Donaldson- als de Shirey Bay WMA's bieden een fijne habitat voor groene bomen (eendenvijver). Er is ook een populatie van furbearers zoals bever, muskusrat, nerts en wasbeer. Talloze Amerikaanse zeearenden en steenarenden overwinteren rond Lake Ashbaugh in de Donaldson WMA en kunnen worden waargenomen op of rond het meer van november tot februari.

The Black en zijn omgeving hebben een fascinerende geschiedenis, eerst bewoond door precolumbiaanse heuvelbouwers, daarna door de Osage en Cherokee. De eerste Europese kolonisten waren Fransen. In de dagen voordat de spoorwegen het gebied binnendrongen, waren platte boten en stoomboten essentieel voor het verplaatsen van mensen en goederen, en boden ze het enige transport van boerderij naar markt. De eerste stoomboot die de Black River opging naar Pocahontas was de Laurier in 1829. Davidsonville, Powhatan, Pocahontas en Jacksonport waren belangrijke stoomboothavens, en tegen de eeuwwisseling voeren er ongeveer 43 stoomboten over de rivier. Een was de Idlewild, die nog steeds in dienst is in Louisville, Kentucky, na te zijn herbouwd en omgedoopt tot de Belle van Louisville. De eerste trein arriveerde in 1896 in Pocahontas en de spoorwegen vervingen geleidelijk het rivierverkeer. In de jaren twintig waren er echter nog steeds stoomboten en boten (die werden gebruikt om rivierafval op te ruimen) in bedrijf.

Vroeger had de Black River een grote populatie riviermosselen. In 1897 vond Dr. J.H. Myers een grote balparel twee mijl ten noorden van Black Rock. Dit leidde tot een 'parelstorm' en er ontstonden tentenkampen langs de rivier. De schelpen leverden parelmoer en Myers, met anderen, richtte drie jaar later een knopenfabriek op in Black Rock. Volgens Myers was dit de eerste knopenfabriek in het Zuiden. Gebiedsmusea, zoals het Randolph County Heritage Museum, hebben gereedschappen voor het maken van knopen en schelpen waaruit de knopen zijn gesneden. De productie van parelknopen bereikte zijn hoogtepunt in het midden van de jaren veertig. Overbevissing en slib in de rivier veroorzaakt door landbouw en baggeren hebben de mosselpopulatie drastisch verminderd. Dit, samen met een verminderde vraag naar parelmoer als gevolg van de uitvinding van plastic knopen en de ritssluiting, maakte halverwege de twintigste eeuw vrijwel een einde aan de parel- en knopenindustrie. Een klein aantal "schelpdieren" verzamelt echter nog steeds mosselen. Ze snijden de schelpen in kleine balletjes van parelmoer voor export naar Azië, om te gebruiken in de kweekparelindustrie.

De rivier is altijd onderhevig geweest aan overstromingen en het oversteken ervan bleek de afgelopen jaren een uitdaging. Jarenlang moesten mensen die voor de lente van de rechtbank reisden tussen Corning en Piggott, de twee provinciehoofdsteden in Clay County, een trein nemen naar Poplar Bluff, Missouri, en de volgende ochtend de trein nemen naar het andere gerechtsgebouw. Overstromingen zijn genoemd als een oorzaak van de ondergang van Davidsonville en waren mede verantwoordelijk voor een lichte opkomst in het gebied toen de voorgestelde grondwet van Arkansas van 1918 bij de peilingen werd verslagen. De overstromingen gaan tot op de dag van vandaag door, met ernstige overstromingen in 2008 en 2011.

In de beginjaren had de staat Arkansas geen geld om infrastructuur te bouwen, dus verleenden provincies vergunningen aan veerbootmaatschappijen en bruggenbouwers, die de verbeteringen particulier financierden en tol eisten. De eerste brug bij Powhatan, een dunne draaibrug, werd zo bediend. In 1938 kocht gouverneur Carl Bailey, die zich toelegde op het verwijderen van alle tolbruggen in Arkansas, rechten op een bestaande veerbootplaats net boven de rivier. De staat gebruikte vervolgens snelwegborden om het verkeer van de brug om te leiden. Omdat de tolopbrengsten daalden, spande de eigenaar een rechtszaak aan en won op proefniveau. Terwijl de zaak in hoger beroep was, schikten de partijen zich en betaalde de staat de eigenaar $ 68.000 voor de brug, die later werd vervangen door een veilige structuur. Tegenwoordig steken vijf snelweg- en vier spoorbruggen de rivier over. De Black River Bridge bij Pocahontas, gebouwd in 1934, staat vermeld in het nationaal register van historische plaatsen. In mei 2015 werd een nieuwe brug over de Black River geopend bij Black Rock, ter vervanging van de structuur uit 1949, die in 2010 door wegbeheerders als gebrekkig was verklaard.

Veel artefacten, foto's en historische documenten die de industrie en het leven op de rivier laten zien, zijn te zien in het Davidsonville Historic State Park, het Powhatan Courthouse, het Jacksonport Courthouse Museum, het Randolph County Heritage Museum en het Eddie Mae Herron Center.

Voor aanvullende informatie:
Dougan, Michael B. "The Doctrine of Creative Destruction: Ferry en Bridge Law in Arkansas." Historisch kwartaaloverzicht van Arkansas 39 (zomer 1980): 136-158.

Lawrence County, Arkansas: 1815-2001. Paducah, KY: Uitgeverij Turner, 2001.

McGinnis, A.C. "Pearl Search begon in 1897." Independence County Chronicle 9 (juli 1968): 25-29.

West, Mabel. "Jacksonport, Arkansas: de opkomst en ondergang." Historisch kwartaaloverzicht van Arkansas 9 (winter 1950): 231-258.


Zwarte rivier

De Black River heeft een belangrijke, maar veranderende rol gespeeld in het leven van de inwoners van het noordoosten van Arkansas. Voor de vroege indianen die in het gebied woonden, was het een essentiële voedsel- en transportbron. Dit bleef zo ​​voor Europese kolonisten in de dagen vóór wegen en spoorwegen. De rivier was ook een essentiële "snelweg" voor de platbodems en rivierstoomboten die mensen en goederen van en naar het gebied vervoerden. De rivier ondersteunde de ontwikkeling van de lokale industrie als middel om hout uit de bossen te verplaatsen naar plaatsen zoals de Sallee Brothers Handle Mill in Pocahontas (Randolph County), terwijl de mosselvisserij parels en parelmoer leverde voor de lokale knopenindustrie voor vele jaren. Hoewel de rivier niet langer als vervoermiddel fungeert, blijft het een belangrijke recreatieve plek voor jagen, vissen, wandelen, vogels kijken, varen en meer. Batesville (Independence County) advocaat en schrijver "Fent" Noland verklaarde in 1839: "Het land boven White River en de Black is voorbestemd om het beste in Arkansas te zijn. De natuur heeft alles gedaan wat ze kon, de mens doet de rest.”

De bron van de Black River ligt in het zuidoosten van Missouri. Het wordt gevormd door drie rivieren, stroomt naar het zuiden en steekt de grens met Arkansas over in Clay County, ten noordoosten van Corning. Van daaruit stroomt het over het algemeen naar het zuidwesten en gaat het door het Dave Donaldson Black River Wildlife Management Area (WMA), door Randolph County naar Pocahontas en naar beneden naar Davidsonville Historic State Park. Het kruist Lawrence County net boven de stad Black Rock en gaat verder naar het zuidwesten naar de gemeenschap van Powhatan (Lawrence County). Van daaruit stroomt het naar het zuiden door de Shirey Bay-Rainey Brake WMA, steekt de zuidelijke grens van Lawrence County over en vormt de oost-westgrens tussen de provincies Independence en Jackson. Het draait uiteindelijk naar het zuidoosten en komt de White River binnen bij Jacksonport (Jackson County), net ten noorden van Newport (Jackson County). De zijrivieren van Arkansas zijn de rivieren Little Black, Spring en Strawberry, en met zijn verbinding met de White River maakt het deel uit van het stroomgebied van de Mississippi. The Black heeft talloze scherpe bochten, vele met kleurrijke namen, zoals Deadman en Hole in the Wall in het Davidsonville Historic State Park-gebied, samen met de Box Factory, Battle Axe en Dead Mule-bochten in de benedenloop van de rivier.

De rivier en de WMA's waardoor deze stroomt, bieden volop mogelijkheden voor jagers, vissers, wandelaars en natuurliefhebbers. De belangrijkste vissoorten erin zijn largemouth bass, crappie en meerval. De jacht op eenden, eekhoorns, herten, konijnen en kalkoenen is populair langs de route, en zowel de Donaldson- als de Shirey Bay WMA's bieden een fijne habitat voor groene bomen (eendenvijver). Er is ook een populatie van furbearers zoals bever, muskusrat, nerts en wasbeer. Talloze Amerikaanse zeearenden en steenarenden overwinteren rond Lake Ashbaugh in de Donaldson WMA en kunnen worden waargenomen op of rond het meer van november tot februari.

The Black en zijn omgeving hebben een fascinerende geschiedenis, eerst bewoond door precolumbiaanse heuvelbouwers, daarna door de Osage en Cherokee. De eerste Europese kolonisten waren Fransen. In de dagen voordat de spoorwegen het gebied binnendrongen, waren platte boten en stoomboten essentieel voor het verplaatsen van mensen en goederen, en boden ze het enige transport van boerderij naar markt. De eerste stoomboot die de Black River opging naar Pocahontas was de Laurier in 1829. Davidsonville, Powhatan, Pocahontas en Jacksonport waren belangrijke stoomboothavens, en tegen de eeuwwisseling voeren er ongeveer 43 stoomboten over de rivier. Een was de Idlewild, die nog steeds in dienst is in Louisville, Kentucky, na herbouwd en omgedoopt tot de Belle van Louisville. De eerste trein arriveerde in 1896 in Pocahontas en de spoorwegen vervingen geleidelijk het rivierverkeer. Maar nog in de jaren twintig van de vorige eeuw waren er nog stoomboten en boten (die werden gebruikt om rivierafval op te ruimen) in bedrijf.

Vroeger had de Black River een grote populatie riviermosselen. In 1897 vond Dr. J.H. Myers een grote balparel twee mijl ten noorden van Black Rock. Dit leidde tot een 'parelstorm' en er ontstonden tentenkampen langs de rivier. De schelpen leverden parelmoer en Myers, met anderen, richtte drie jaar later een knopenfabriek op in Black Rock. Volgens Myers was dit de eerste knopenfabriek in het Zuiden. Gebiedsmusea, zoals het Randolph County Heritage Museum, hebben gereedschappen voor het maken van knopen en schelpen waaruit de knopen zijn gesneden. De productie van parelknopen bereikte zijn hoogtepunt in het midden van de jaren veertig. Overbevissing en slib in de rivier veroorzaakt door landbouw en baggeren hebben de mosselpopulatie drastisch verminderd. Dit, samen met een verminderde vraag naar parelmoer als gevolg van de uitvinding van plastic knopen en de ritssluiting, maakte halverwege de twintigste eeuw vrijwel een einde aan de parel- en knopenindustrie. Een klein aantal "schelpdieren" verzamelt echter nog steeds mosselen. Ze snijden de schelpen in kleine balletjes van parelmoer voor export naar Azië, om te gebruiken in de kweekparelindustrie.

De rivier is altijd onderhevig geweest aan overstromingen en het oversteken ervan bleek de afgelopen jaren een uitdaging. Jarenlang moesten mensen die voor de lente van de rechtbank reisden tussen Corning en Piggott, de twee provinciehoofdsteden in Clay County, een trein nemen naar Poplar Bluff, Missouri, en de volgende ochtend de trein nemen naar het andere gerechtsgebouw. Overstromingen zijn genoemd als een oorzaak van de ondergang van Davidsonville en waren mede verantwoordelijk voor een lichte opkomst in het gebied toen de voorgestelde grondwet van Arkansas van 1918 bij de peilingen werd verslagen. De overstromingen gaan tot op de dag van vandaag door, met ernstige overstromingen in 2008 en 2011.

In de beginjaren had de staat Arkansas geen geld om infrastructuur te bouwen, dus verleenden provincies vergunningen aan veerbootmaatschappijen en bruggenbouwers, die de verbeteringen particulier financierden en tol eisten. De eerste brug bij Powhatan, een dunne draaibrug, werd zo bediend. In 1938 kocht gouverneur Carl Bailey, die zich toelegde op het verwijderen van alle tolbruggen in Arkansas, rechten op een bestaande veerbootplaats net boven de rivier. De staat gebruikte vervolgens snelwegborden om het verkeer van de brug om te leiden. Omdat de tolopbrengsten daalden, spande de eigenaar een rechtszaak aan en won op proefniveau. Terwijl de zaak in hoger beroep was, schikten de partijen zich en betaalde de staat de eigenaar $ 68.000 voor de brug, die later werd vervangen door een veilige structuur. Tegenwoordig steken vijf snelweg- en vier spoorbruggen de rivier over. De Black River Bridge bij Pocahontas, gebouwd in 1934, staat vermeld in het nationaal register van historische plaatsen. In mei 2015 werd een nieuwe brug over de Black River geopend bij Black Rock, ter vervanging van de structuur uit 1949, die in 2010 door wegbeheerders als gebrekkig was verklaard.

Veel artefacten, foto's en historische documenten die de industrie en het leven op de rivier laten zien, zijn te zien in het Davidsonville Historic State Park, het Powhatan Courthouse, het Jacksonport Courthouse Museum, het Randolph County Heritage Museum en het Eddie Mae Herron Center.

Voor aanvullende informatie:
Dougan, Michael B. "The Doctrine of Creative Destruction: Ferry en Bridge Law in Arkansas." Historisch kwartaaloverzicht van Arkansas 39 (zomer 1980): 136-158.

Lawrence County, Arkansas: 1815-2001. Paducah, KY: Uitgeverij Turner, 2001.

McGinnis, A.C. "Pearl Search begon in 1897." Independence County Chronicle 9 (juli 1968): 25-29.

West, Mabel. "Jacksonport, Arkansas: de opkomst en ondergang." Historisch kwartaaloverzicht van Arkansas 9 (winter 1950): 231-258.


Zwarte rivier

De Black River heeft een belangrijke, maar veranderende rol gespeeld in het leven van de inwoners van het noordoosten van Arkansas. Voor de vroege indianen die in het gebied woonden, was het een essentiële voedsel- en transportbron. Dit bleef zo ​​voor Europese kolonisten in de dagen vóór wegen en spoorwegen. De rivier was ook een essentiële "snelweg" voor de platbodems en rivierstoomboten die mensen en goederen van en naar het gebied vervoerden. De rivier ondersteunde de ontwikkeling van de lokale industrie als middel om hout uit de bossen te verplaatsen naar plaatsen zoals de Sallee Brothers Handle Mill in Pocahontas (Randolph County), terwijl de mosselvisserij parels en parelmoer leverde voor de lokale knopenindustrie voor vele jaren. Hoewel de rivier niet langer als vervoermiddel fungeert, blijft het een belangrijke recreatieve plek voor jagen, vissen, wandelen, vogels kijken, varen en meer. Batesville (Independence County) advocaat en schrijver "Fent" Noland verklaarde in 1839: "Het land boven White River en de Black is voorbestemd om het beste in Arkansas te zijn. De natuur heeft alles gedaan wat ze kon, de mens doet de rest.”

De bron van de Black River ligt in het zuidoosten van Missouri. Het wordt gevormd door drie rivieren, stroomt naar het zuiden en steekt de grens met Arkansas over in Clay County, ten noordoosten van Corning. Van daaruit stroomt het over het algemeen naar het zuidwesten en gaat het door het Dave Donaldson Black River Wildlife Management Area (WMA), door Randolph County naar Pocahontas en naar beneden naar Davidsonville Historic State Park. Het kruist Lawrence County net boven de stad Black Rock en gaat verder naar het zuidwesten naar de gemeenschap van Powhatan (Lawrence County). Van daaruit stroomt het naar het zuiden door de Shirey Bay-Rainey Brake WMA, steekt de zuidelijke grens van Lawrence County over en vormt de oost-westgrens tussen de graafschappen Independence en Jackson. Het draait uiteindelijk naar het zuidoosten en komt de White River binnen bij Jacksonport (Jackson County), net ten noorden van Newport (Jackson County). De zijrivieren van Arkansas zijn de rivieren Little Black, Spring en Strawberry, en met zijn verbinding met de White River maakt het deel uit van het stroomgebied van de Mississippi. The Black heeft talloze scherpe bochten, vele met kleurrijke namen, zoals Deadman en Hole in the Wall in het Davidsonville Historic State Park-gebied, samen met de Box Factory, Battle Axe en Dead Mule-bochten in de benedenloop van de rivier.

De rivier en de WMA's waardoor deze stroomt, bieden volop mogelijkheden voor jagers, vissers, wandelaars en natuurliefhebbers. De belangrijkste vissoorten erin zijn largemouth bass, crappie en meerval. De jacht op eenden, eekhoorns, herten, konijnen en kalkoenen is populair langs de route, en zowel de Donaldson- als de Shirey Bay WMA's bieden een fijne habitat voor groene bomen (eendenvijver). Er is ook een populatie van furbearers zoals bever, muskusrat, nerts en wasbeer. Talloze Amerikaanse zeearenden en steenarenden overwinteren rond Lake Ashbaugh in de Donaldson WMA en kunnen worden waargenomen op of rond het meer van november tot februari.

The Black en zijn omgeving hebben een fascinerende geschiedenis, eerst bewoond door precolumbiaanse heuvelbouwers, daarna door de Osage en Cherokee. De eerste Europese kolonisten waren Fransen. In de dagen voordat de spoorwegen het gebied binnendrongen, waren platte boten en stoomboten essentieel voor het verplaatsen van mensen en goederen, en boden ze het enige transport van boerderij naar markt. De eerste stoomboot die de Black River opging naar Pocahontas was de Laurier in 1829. Davidsonville, Powhatan, Pocahontas en Jacksonport waren belangrijke stoomboothavens, en tegen de eeuwwisseling voeren er ongeveer 43 stoomboten over de rivier. Een was de Idlewild, die nog steeds in dienst is in Louisville, Kentucky, na te zijn herbouwd en omgedoopt tot de Belle van Louisville. De eerste trein arriveerde in 1896 in Pocahontas en de spoorwegen vervingen geleidelijk het rivierverkeer. Maar nog in de jaren twintig van de vorige eeuw waren er nog stoomboten en boten (die werden gebruikt om rivierafval op te ruimen) in bedrijf.

Vroeger had de Black River een grote populatie riviermosselen. In 1897 vond Dr. J.H. Myers een grote balparel twee mijl ten noorden van Black Rock. Dit leidde tot een 'parelstorm' en er ontstonden tentenkampen langs de rivier. De schelpen leverden parelmoer en Myers, met anderen, richtte drie jaar later een knopenfabriek op in Black Rock. Volgens Myers was dit de eerste knopenfabriek in het Zuiden. Gebiedsmusea, zoals het Randolph County Heritage Museum, hebben gereedschappen voor het maken van knopen en schelpen waaruit de knopen zijn gesneden. De productie van parelknopen bereikte zijn hoogtepunt in het midden van de jaren veertig. Overbevissing en slib in de rivier veroorzaakt door landbouw en baggeren hebben de mosselpopulatie drastisch verminderd. Dit, samen met een verminderde vraag naar parelmoer als gevolg van de uitvinding van plastic knopen en de ritssluiting, maakte halverwege de twintigste eeuw vrijwel een einde aan de parel- en knopenindustrie. Een klein aantal "schelpdieren" verzamelt echter nog steeds mosselen. Ze snijden de schelpen in kleine balletjes van parelmoer voor export naar Azië, om te gebruiken in de kweekparelindustrie.

De rivier is altijd onderhevig geweest aan overstromingen en het oversteken ervan bleek de afgelopen jaren een uitdaging. Jarenlang moesten mensen die voor de lente van de rechtbank reisden tussen Corning en Piggott, de twee provinciehoofdsteden in Clay County, een trein nemen naar Poplar Bluff, Missouri, en de volgende ochtend de trein nemen naar het andere gerechtsgebouw. Overstromingen zijn genoemd als een oorzaak van de ondergang van Davidsonville en waren mede verantwoordelijk voor een lichte opkomst in het gebied toen de voorgestelde grondwet van Arkansas van 1918 bij de peilingen werd verslagen. De overstromingen gaan tot op de dag van vandaag door, met ernstige overstromingen in 2008 en 2011.

In de beginjaren had de staat Arkansas geen geld om infrastructuur te bouwen, dus verleenden provincies licenties aan veerbootmaatschappijen en bruggenbouwers, die de verbeteringen particulier financierden en tol eisten. De eerste brug bij Powhatan, een dunne draaibrug, werd zo bediend. In 1938 kocht gouverneur Carl Bailey, die zich toelegde op het verwijderen van alle tolbruggen in Arkansas, rechten op een bestaande veerbootplaats net boven de rivier. De staat gebruikte vervolgens snelwegborden om het verkeer van de brug om te leiden. Omdat de tolopbrengsten daalden, spande de eigenaar een rechtszaak aan en won op proefniveau. Terwijl de zaak in hoger beroep was, schikten de partijen zich en betaalde de staat de eigenaar $ 68.000 voor de brug, die later werd vervangen door een veilige structuur. Tegenwoordig steken vijf snelweg- en vier spoorbruggen de rivier over. De Black River Bridge bij Pocahontas, gebouwd in 1934, staat vermeld in het nationaal register van historische plaatsen. In mei 2015 werd een nieuwe brug over de Black River geopend bij Black Rock, ter vervanging van de structuur uit 1949, die in 2010 door wegbeheerders als gebrekkig was verklaard.

Veel artefacten, foto's en historische documenten die de industrie en het leven op de rivier laten zien, zijn te zien in het Davidsonville Historic State Park, het Powhatan Courthouse, het Jacksonport Courthouse Museum, het Randolph County Heritage Museum en het Eddie Mae Herron Center.

Voor aanvullende informatie:
Dougan, Michael B. "The Doctrine of Creative Destruction: Ferry en Bridge Law in Arkansas." Historisch kwartaaloverzicht van Arkansas 39 (zomer 1980): 136-158.

Lawrence County, Arkansas: 1815-2001. Paducah, KY: Uitgeverij Turner, 2001.

McGinnis, A.C. "Pearl Search begon in 1897." Independence County Chronicle 9 (juli 1968): 25-29.

West, Mabel. "Jacksonport, Arkansas: de opkomst en ondergang." Historisch kwartaaloverzicht van Arkansas 9 (winter 1950): 231-258.


Zwarte rivier

De Black River heeft een belangrijke, maar veranderende rol gespeeld in het leven van de inwoners van het noordoosten van Arkansas. Voor de vroege indianen die in het gebied woonden, was het een essentiële voedsel- en transportbron. Dit bleef zo ​​voor Europese kolonisten in de dagen vóór wegen en spoorwegen. De rivier was ook een essentiële "snelweg" voor de platbodems en rivierstoomboten die mensen en goederen van en naar het gebied vervoerden. De rivier ondersteunde de ontwikkeling van de lokale industrie als middel om hout uit de bossen te verplaatsen naar plaatsen zoals de Sallee Brothers Handle Mill in Pocahontas (Randolph County), terwijl de mosselvisserij parels en parelmoer leverde voor de lokale knopenindustrie voor vele jaren. Hoewel de rivier niet langer als vervoermiddel fungeert, blijft het een belangrijke recreatieve plek voor jagen, vissen, wandelen, vogels kijken, varen en meer. Batesville (Independence County) advocaat en schrijver "Fent" Noland verklaarde in 1839: "Het land boven White River en de Black is voorbestemd om het beste in Arkansas te zijn. De natuur heeft alles gedaan wat ze kon, de mens doet de rest.”

De bron van de Black River ligt in het zuidoosten van Missouri. Het wordt gevormd door drie rivieren, stroomt naar het zuiden en steekt de grens met Arkansas over in Clay County, ten noordoosten van Corning. Van daaruit stroomt het over het algemeen naar het zuidwesten en gaat het door het Dave Donaldson Black River Wildlife Management Area (WMA), door Randolph County naar Pocahontas en naar beneden naar Davidsonville Historic State Park. Het kruist Lawrence County net boven de stad Black Rock en gaat verder naar het zuidwesten naar de gemeenschap van Powhatan (Lawrence County). Van daaruit stroomt het naar het zuiden door de Shirey Bay-Rainey Brake WMA, steekt de zuidelijke grens van Lawrence County over en vormt de oost-westgrens tussen de graafschappen Independence en Jackson. Het draait uiteindelijk naar het zuidoosten en komt de White River binnen bij Jacksonport (Jackson County), net ten noorden van Newport (Jackson County). De zijrivieren van Arkansas zijn de rivieren Little Black, Spring en Strawberry, en met zijn verbinding met de White River maakt het deel uit van het stroomgebied van de Mississippi. The Black heeft tal van scherpe bochten, vele met kleurrijke namen, zoals Deadman en Hole in the Wall in het Davidsonville Historic State Park-gebied, samen met de Box Factory, Battle Axe en Dead Mule-bochten in de benedenloop van de rivier.

De rivier en de WMA's waardoor deze stroomt, bieden volop mogelijkheden voor jagers, vissers, wandelaars en natuurliefhebbers. De belangrijkste vissoorten erin zijn largemouth bass, crappie en meerval. De jacht op eenden, eekhoorns, herten, konijnen en kalkoenen is populair langs de route, en zowel de Donaldson- als de Shirey Bay WMA's bieden een fijne habitat voor groene bomen (eendenvijver). Er is ook een populatie van furbearers zoals bever, muskusrat, nerts en wasbeer. Talloze Amerikaanse zeearenden en steenarenden overwinteren rond Lake Ashbaugh in de Donaldson WMA en kunnen worden waargenomen op of rond het meer van november tot februari.

The Black en zijn omgeving hebben een fascinerende geschiedenis, eerst bewoond door precolumbiaanse heuvelbouwers, daarna door de Osage en Cherokee. De eerste Europese kolonisten waren Fransen. In de dagen voordat de spoorwegen het gebied binnendrongen, waren platte boten en stoomboten essentieel voor het verplaatsen van mensen en goederen, en boden ze het enige transport van boerderij naar markt. De eerste stoomboot die de Black River opging naar Pocahontas was de Laurier in 1829. Davidsonville, Powhatan, Pocahontas en Jacksonport waren belangrijke stoomboothavens, en tegen de eeuwwisseling voeren er ongeveer 43 stoomboten over de rivier. Een was de Idlewild, die nog steeds in dienst is in Louisville, Kentucky, na herbouwd en omgedoopt tot de Belle van Louisville. De eerste trein arriveerde in 1896 in Pocahontas en de spoorwegen vervingen geleidelijk het rivierverkeer. Maar nog in de jaren twintig van de vorige eeuw waren er nog stoomboten en boten (die werden gebruikt om rivierafval op te ruimen) in bedrijf.

Vroeger had de Black River een grote populatie riviermosselen. In 1897 vond Dr. J.H. Myers een grote balparel twee mijl ten noorden van Black Rock. Dit leidde tot een 'parelstorm' en er ontstonden tentenkampen langs de rivier. De schelpen leverden parelmoer en Myers, met anderen, richtte drie jaar later een knopenfabriek op in Black Rock. Volgens Myers was dit de eerste knopenfabriek in het Zuiden. Gebiedsmusea, zoals het Randolph County Heritage Museum, hebben gereedschappen voor het maken van knopen en schelpen waaruit de knopen zijn gesneden. De productie van parelknopen bereikte zijn hoogtepunt in het midden van de jaren veertig. Overbevissing en slib in de rivier veroorzaakt door landbouw en baggeren hebben de mosselpopulatie drastisch verminderd. Dit, samen met een verminderde vraag naar parelmoer als gevolg van de uitvinding van plastic knopen en de ritssluiting, maakte halverwege de twintigste eeuw vrijwel een einde aan de parel- en knopenindustrie. Een klein aantal "schelpdieren" verzamelt echter nog steeds mosselen. Ze snijden de schelpen in kleine balletjes van parelmoer voor export naar Azië, om te gebruiken in de kweekparelindustrie.

De rivier is altijd onderhevig geweest aan overstromingen en het oversteken ervan bleek de afgelopen jaren een uitdaging. Jarenlang moesten mensen die voor de lente van de rechtbank reisden tussen Corning en Piggott, de twee provinciehoofdsteden in Clay County, een trein nemen naar Poplar Bluff, Missouri, en de volgende ochtend de trein nemen naar het andere gerechtsgebouw. Overstromingen zijn genoemd als een oorzaak van de ondergang van Davidsonville en waren mede verantwoordelijk voor een lichte opkomst in het gebied toen de voorgestelde grondwet van Arkansas van 1918 bij de peilingen werd verslagen. De overstromingen gaan tot op de dag van vandaag door, met ernstige overstromingen in 2008 en 2011.

In de beginjaren had de staat Arkansas geen geld om infrastructuur te bouwen, dus verleenden provincies vergunningen aan veerbootmaatschappijen en bruggenbouwers, die de verbeteringen particulier financierden en tol eisten. De eerste brug bij Powhatan, een dunne draaibrug, werd zo bediend. In 1938 kocht gouverneur Carl Bailey, die zich toelegde op het verwijderen van alle tolbruggen in Arkansas, rechten op een bestaande veerbootplaats net boven de rivier. De staat gebruikte vervolgens snelwegborden om het verkeer van de brug om te leiden. Omdat de tolopbrengsten daalden, spande de eigenaar een rechtszaak aan en won op proefniveau. Terwijl de zaak in hoger beroep was, schikten de partijen zich en betaalde de staat de eigenaar $ 68.000 voor de brug, die later werd vervangen door een veilige structuur. Tegenwoordig steken vijf snelweg- en vier spoorbruggen de rivier over. De Black River Bridge bij Pocahontas, gebouwd in 1934, staat vermeld in het nationaal register van historische plaatsen. In mei 2015 werd een nieuwe brug over de Black River geopend bij Black Rock, ter vervanging van de structuur uit 1949, die in 2010 door wegbeheerders als gebrekkig was verklaard.

Veel artefacten, foto's en historische documenten die de industrie en het leven op de rivier laten zien, zijn te zien in het Davidsonville Historic State Park, het Powhatan Courthouse, het Jacksonport Courthouse Museum, het Randolph County Heritage Museum en het Eddie Mae Herron Center.

Voor aanvullende informatie:
Dougan, Michael B. "The Doctrine of Creative Destruction: Ferry en Bridge Law in Arkansas." Historisch kwartaaloverzicht van Arkansas 39 (zomer 1980): 136-158.

Lawrence County, Arkansas: 1815-2001. Paducah, KY: Uitgeverij Turner, 2001.

McGinnis, A.C. "Pearl Search begon in 1897." Independence County Chronicle 9 (juli 1968): 25-29.

West, Mabel. "Jacksonport, Arkansas: de opkomst en ondergang." Historisch kwartaaloverzicht van Arkansas 9 (winter 1950): 231-258.


Zwarte rivier

De Black River heeft een belangrijke, maar veranderende rol gespeeld in het leven van inwoners van het noordoosten van Arkansas. For the early Native Americans who lived in the area, it was an essential food and transportation source. This remained true for European settlers in the days before roads and railroads. The river was also an essential “highway” for the flatboats and river steamers that transported people and goods to and from the area. The river supported the development of local industry as the means for moving timber from the forests to places such as the Sallee Brothers Handle Mill in Pocahontas (Randolph County), while mussel fishing supplied pearls and mother of pearl for the local button-making industry for many years. While the river no longer functions as a means of transportation, it continues to be an important recreational site for hunting, fishing, hiking, bird watching, boating, and more. Batesville (Independence County) lawyer and writer “Fent” Noland stated in 1839, “The country up White River and the Black is destined to be the finest in Arkansas. Nature has done all she could—man will do the rest.”

The Black River’s source is in southeast Missouri. It is formed from three rivers, flows south, and crosses the Arkansas border in Clay County northeast of Corning. From there, it flows generally southwest and passes through the Dave Donaldson Black River Wildlife Management Area (WMA), through Randolph County to Pocahontas, and down to Davidsonville Historic State Park. It crosses into Lawrence County just above the town of Black Rock and continues southwest to the community of Powhatan (Lawrence County). From there, it flows south through the Shirey Bay–Rainey Brake WMA, crosses the southern border of Lawrence County, and forms the east-west border between Independence and Jackson counties. It finally turns southeast and enters the White River at Jacksonport (Jackson County), just north of Newport (Jackson County). Its Arkansas tributaries are the Little Black, Spring, and Strawberry rivers, and with its connection to the White River, it is part of the Mississippi River watershed. The Black has numerous sharp bends, many with colorful names, such as Deadman and Hole in the Wall in the Davidsonville Historic State Park area, along with the Box Factory, Battle Axe, and Dead Mule bends in the lower course of the river.

The river and the WMAs through which it flows provide abundant opportunities for hunters, fishermen, hikers, and wildlife watchers. The main species of fish within it are largemouth bass, crappie, and catfish. Duck, squirrel, deer, rabbit, and turkey hunting are popular along its course, and both the Donaldson and Shirey Bay WMAs offer fine green tree reservoir (woodland duck pond) habitat. There is also a population of furbearers such as beaver, muskrat, mink, and raccoon. Numerous bald and golden eagles winter around Lake Ashbaugh in the Donaldson WMA and can be sighted on or around the lake from November through February.

The Black and its surrounding area have a fascinating history, being first inhabited by pre-Columbian mound builders, then by the Osage and Cherokee. The first European settlers were French. In the days before railroads penetrated the area, flatboats and steamboats were essential to moving people and goods, offering the only “farm to market” transportation. The first steamboat to go up the Black River to Pocahontas was the Laurel in 1829. Davidsonville, Powhatan, Pocahontas, and Jacksonport were important steamboat ports, and by the turn of the century, some forty-three steamboats traveled the river. One was the Idlewild, which is still in service at Louisville, Kentucky, having been rebuilt and renamed the Belle of Louisville. The first train arrived in Pocahontas in 1896, and the railroads gradually replaced river traffic. As late as the 1920s, however, steamboats and snag boats (used to clear river debris) were still in operation.

In earlier days, the Black River had a large population of river mussels. In 1897, Dr. J. H. Myers found a large ball pearl two miles north of Black Rock. This led to a “pearl rush,” and tent camps sprouted along the river. The shells provided mother of pearl, and Myers, with others, established a button factory at Black Rock three years later. According to Myers, this was the first button factory in the South. Area museums, such as the Randolph County Heritage Museum, have button-making tools and shells from which the buttons were cut. Pearl button manufacturing reached its peak in the mid-1940s. Overharvesting and silt in the river caused by farming and dredging have drastically reduced the mussel population. This, along with a decreased demand for mother of pearl due to the invention of plastic buttons and the zipper, virtually ended the pearling and button industries in the mid-twentieth century. However, a small number of “shellers” still gather mussels. They cut the shells into small pellets of mother of pearl for export to Asia, to be used in the cultured pearl industry.

The river has always been prone to flooding, and crossing it proved a challenge in years past. For many years, people traveling for spring terms of court between Corning and Piggott, the two county seats in Clay County, were forced to ride a train to Poplar Bluff, Missouri, and then catch the next morning’s train to the other courthouse. Flooding has been cited as one cause of the demise of Davidsonville and was partly responsible for a light voter turnout in the area when the proposed Arkansas Constitution of 1918 was defeated at the polls. Flooding has continued to this day, with severe flooding occurring in 2008 and 2011.

In early years, the State of Arkansas had no money to build infrastructure, so counties granted licenses to ferry operators and bridge builders, who privately financed the improvements and charged a toll. The first bridge at Powhatan, a flimsy swing bridge, was so operated. In 1938, Governor Carl Bailey, dedicated to removing all toll bridges in Arkansas, purchased rights to an existing ferry site just up the river. The state then used highway signs to divert traffic from the bridge. Because toll revenue dropped, the owner sued, winning at the trial level. While the case was on appeal, the parties settled, and the state paid the owner $68,000 for the bridge, which was later replaced by a safe structure. Today, five highway and four railroad bridges cross the river. The Black River Bridge at Pocahontas, built in 1934, is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. In May 2015, a new bridge spanning the Black River was opened at Black Rock, replacing the 1949 structure, which had been declared deficient by highway officials in 2010.

Many artifacts, photographs, and historical records showing industry and life on the river are on display at Davidsonville Historic State Park, the Powhatan Courthouse, the Jacksonport Courthouse Museum, the Randolph County Heritage Museum, and the Eddie Mae Herron Center.

For additional information:
Dougan, Michael B. “The Doctrine of Creative Destruction: Ferry and Bridge Law in Arkansas.” Arkansas Historical Quarterly 39 (Summer 1980): 136–158.

Lawrence County, Arkansas: 1815–2001. Paducah, KY: Turner Publishing Company, 2001.

McGinnis, A. C. “Pearl Search Began in 1897.” Independence County Chronicle 9 (July 1968): 25–29.

West, Mabel. “Jacksonport, Arkansas: Its Rise and Decline.” Arkansas Historical Quarterly 9 (Winter 1950): 231–258.


Black River

The Black River has played a significant, but shifting, role in the lives of residents of northeast Arkansas. For the early Native Americans who lived in the area, it was an essential food and transportation source. This remained true for European settlers in the days before roads and railroads. The river was also an essential “highway” for the flatboats and river steamers that transported people and goods to and from the area. The river supported the development of local industry as the means for moving timber from the forests to places such as the Sallee Brothers Handle Mill in Pocahontas (Randolph County), while mussel fishing supplied pearls and mother of pearl for the local button-making industry for many years. While the river no longer functions as a means of transportation, it continues to be an important recreational site for hunting, fishing, hiking, bird watching, boating, and more. Batesville (Independence County) lawyer and writer “Fent” Noland stated in 1839, “The country up White River and the Black is destined to be the finest in Arkansas. Nature has done all she could—man will do the rest.”

The Black River’s source is in southeast Missouri. It is formed from three rivers, flows south, and crosses the Arkansas border in Clay County northeast of Corning. From there, it flows generally southwest and passes through the Dave Donaldson Black River Wildlife Management Area (WMA), through Randolph County to Pocahontas, and down to Davidsonville Historic State Park. It crosses into Lawrence County just above the town of Black Rock and continues southwest to the community of Powhatan (Lawrence County). From there, it flows south through the Shirey Bay–Rainey Brake WMA, crosses the southern border of Lawrence County, and forms the east-west border between Independence and Jackson counties. It finally turns southeast and enters the White River at Jacksonport (Jackson County), just north of Newport (Jackson County). Its Arkansas tributaries are the Little Black, Spring, and Strawberry rivers, and with its connection to the White River, it is part of the Mississippi River watershed. The Black has numerous sharp bends, many with colorful names, such as Deadman and Hole in the Wall in the Davidsonville Historic State Park area, along with the Box Factory, Battle Axe, and Dead Mule bends in the lower course of the river.

The river and the WMAs through which it flows provide abundant opportunities for hunters, fishermen, hikers, and wildlife watchers. The main species of fish within it are largemouth bass, crappie, and catfish. Duck, squirrel, deer, rabbit, and turkey hunting are popular along its course, and both the Donaldson and Shirey Bay WMAs offer fine green tree reservoir (woodland duck pond) habitat. There is also a population of furbearers such as beaver, muskrat, mink, and raccoon. Numerous bald and golden eagles winter around Lake Ashbaugh in the Donaldson WMA and can be sighted on or around the lake from November through February.

The Black and its surrounding area have a fascinating history, being first inhabited by pre-Columbian mound builders, then by the Osage and Cherokee. The first European settlers were French. In the days before railroads penetrated the area, flatboats and steamboats were essential to moving people and goods, offering the only “farm to market” transportation. The first steamboat to go up the Black River to Pocahontas was the Laurel in 1829. Davidsonville, Powhatan, Pocahontas, and Jacksonport were important steamboat ports, and by the turn of the century, some forty-three steamboats traveled the river. One was the Idlewild, which is still in service at Louisville, Kentucky, having been rebuilt and renamed the Belle of Louisville. The first train arrived in Pocahontas in 1896, and the railroads gradually replaced river traffic. As late as the 1920s, however, steamboats and snag boats (used to clear river debris) were still in operation.

In earlier days, the Black River had a large population of river mussels. In 1897, Dr. J. H. Myers found a large ball pearl two miles north of Black Rock. This led to a “pearl rush,” and tent camps sprouted along the river. The shells provided mother of pearl, and Myers, with others, established a button factory at Black Rock three years later. According to Myers, this was the first button factory in the South. Area museums, such as the Randolph County Heritage Museum, have button-making tools and shells from which the buttons were cut. Pearl button manufacturing reached its peak in the mid-1940s. Overharvesting and silt in the river caused by farming and dredging have drastically reduced the mussel population. This, along with a decreased demand for mother of pearl due to the invention of plastic buttons and the zipper, virtually ended the pearling and button industries in the mid-twentieth century. However, a small number of “shellers” still gather mussels. They cut the shells into small pellets of mother of pearl for export to Asia, to be used in the cultured pearl industry.

The river has always been prone to flooding, and crossing it proved a challenge in years past. For many years, people traveling for spring terms of court between Corning and Piggott, the two county seats in Clay County, were forced to ride a train to Poplar Bluff, Missouri, and then catch the next morning’s train to the other courthouse. Flooding has been cited as one cause of the demise of Davidsonville and was partly responsible for a light voter turnout in the area when the proposed Arkansas Constitution of 1918 was defeated at the polls. Flooding has continued to this day, with severe flooding occurring in 2008 and 2011.

In early years, the State of Arkansas had no money to build infrastructure, so counties granted licenses to ferry operators and bridge builders, who privately financed the improvements and charged a toll. The first bridge at Powhatan, a flimsy swing bridge, was so operated. In 1938, Governor Carl Bailey, dedicated to removing all toll bridges in Arkansas, purchased rights to an existing ferry site just up the river. The state then used highway signs to divert traffic from the bridge. Because toll revenue dropped, the owner sued, winning at the trial level. While the case was on appeal, the parties settled, and the state paid the owner $68,000 for the bridge, which was later replaced by a safe structure. Today, five highway and four railroad bridges cross the river. The Black River Bridge at Pocahontas, built in 1934, is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. In May 2015, a new bridge spanning the Black River was opened at Black Rock, replacing the 1949 structure, which had been declared deficient by highway officials in 2010.

Many artifacts, photographs, and historical records showing industry and life on the river are on display at Davidsonville Historic State Park, the Powhatan Courthouse, the Jacksonport Courthouse Museum, the Randolph County Heritage Museum, and the Eddie Mae Herron Center.

For additional information:
Dougan, Michael B. “The Doctrine of Creative Destruction: Ferry and Bridge Law in Arkansas.” Arkansas Historical Quarterly 39 (Summer 1980): 136–158.

Lawrence County, Arkansas: 1815–2001. Paducah, KY: Turner Publishing Company, 2001.

McGinnis, A. C. “Pearl Search Began in 1897.” Independence County Chronicle 9 (July 1968): 25–29.

West, Mabel. “Jacksonport, Arkansas: Its Rise and Decline.” Arkansas Historical Quarterly 9 (Winter 1950): 231–258.


Black River

The Black River has played a significant, but shifting, role in the lives of residents of northeast Arkansas. For the early Native Americans who lived in the area, it was an essential food and transportation source. This remained true for European settlers in the days before roads and railroads. The river was also an essential “highway” for the flatboats and river steamers that transported people and goods to and from the area. The river supported the development of local industry as the means for moving timber from the forests to places such as the Sallee Brothers Handle Mill in Pocahontas (Randolph County), while mussel fishing supplied pearls and mother of pearl for the local button-making industry for many years. While the river no longer functions as a means of transportation, it continues to be an important recreational site for hunting, fishing, hiking, bird watching, boating, and more. Batesville (Independence County) lawyer and writer “Fent” Noland stated in 1839, “The country up White River and the Black is destined to be the finest in Arkansas. Nature has done all she could—man will do the rest.”

The Black River’s source is in southeast Missouri. It is formed from three rivers, flows south, and crosses the Arkansas border in Clay County northeast of Corning. From there, it flows generally southwest and passes through the Dave Donaldson Black River Wildlife Management Area (WMA), through Randolph County to Pocahontas, and down to Davidsonville Historic State Park. It crosses into Lawrence County just above the town of Black Rock and continues southwest to the community of Powhatan (Lawrence County). From there, it flows south through the Shirey Bay–Rainey Brake WMA, crosses the southern border of Lawrence County, and forms the east-west border between Independence and Jackson counties. It finally turns southeast and enters the White River at Jacksonport (Jackson County), just north of Newport (Jackson County). Its Arkansas tributaries are the Little Black, Spring, and Strawberry rivers, and with its connection to the White River, it is part of the Mississippi River watershed. The Black has numerous sharp bends, many with colorful names, such as Deadman and Hole in the Wall in the Davidsonville Historic State Park area, along with the Box Factory, Battle Axe, and Dead Mule bends in the lower course of the river.

The river and the WMAs through which it flows provide abundant opportunities for hunters, fishermen, hikers, and wildlife watchers. The main species of fish within it are largemouth bass, crappie, and catfish. Duck, squirrel, deer, rabbit, and turkey hunting are popular along its course, and both the Donaldson and Shirey Bay WMAs offer fine green tree reservoir (woodland duck pond) habitat. There is also a population of furbearers such as beaver, muskrat, mink, and raccoon. Numerous bald and golden eagles winter around Lake Ashbaugh in the Donaldson WMA and can be sighted on or around the lake from November through February.

The Black and its surrounding area have a fascinating history, being first inhabited by pre-Columbian mound builders, then by the Osage and Cherokee. The first European settlers were French. In the days before railroads penetrated the area, flatboats and steamboats were essential to moving people and goods, offering the only “farm to market” transportation. The first steamboat to go up the Black River to Pocahontas was the Laurel in 1829. Davidsonville, Powhatan, Pocahontas, and Jacksonport were important steamboat ports, and by the turn of the century, some forty-three steamboats traveled the river. One was the Idlewild, which is still in service at Louisville, Kentucky, having been rebuilt and renamed the Belle of Louisville. The first train arrived in Pocahontas in 1896, and the railroads gradually replaced river traffic. As late as the 1920s, however, steamboats and snag boats (used to clear river debris) were still in operation.

In earlier days, the Black River had a large population of river mussels. In 1897, Dr. J. H. Myers found a large ball pearl two miles north of Black Rock. This led to a “pearl rush,” and tent camps sprouted along the river. The shells provided mother of pearl, and Myers, with others, established a button factory at Black Rock three years later. According to Myers, this was the first button factory in the South. Area museums, such as the Randolph County Heritage Museum, have button-making tools and shells from which the buttons were cut. Pearl button manufacturing reached its peak in the mid-1940s. Overharvesting and silt in the river caused by farming and dredging have drastically reduced the mussel population. This, along with a decreased demand for mother of pearl due to the invention of plastic buttons and the zipper, virtually ended the pearling and button industries in the mid-twentieth century. However, a small number of “shellers” still gather mussels. They cut the shells into small pellets of mother of pearl for export to Asia, to be used in the cultured pearl industry.

The river has always been prone to flooding, and crossing it proved a challenge in years past. For many years, people traveling for spring terms of court between Corning and Piggott, the two county seats in Clay County, were forced to ride a train to Poplar Bluff, Missouri, and then catch the next morning’s train to the other courthouse. Flooding has been cited as one cause of the demise of Davidsonville and was partly responsible for a light voter turnout in the area when the proposed Arkansas Constitution of 1918 was defeated at the polls. Flooding has continued to this day, with severe flooding occurring in 2008 and 2011.

In early years, the State of Arkansas had no money to build infrastructure, so counties granted licenses to ferry operators and bridge builders, who privately financed the improvements and charged a toll. The first bridge at Powhatan, a flimsy swing bridge, was so operated. In 1938, Governor Carl Bailey, dedicated to removing all toll bridges in Arkansas, purchased rights to an existing ferry site just up the river. The state then used highway signs to divert traffic from the bridge. Because toll revenue dropped, the owner sued, winning at the trial level. While the case was on appeal, the parties settled, and the state paid the owner $68,000 for the bridge, which was later replaced by a safe structure. Today, five highway and four railroad bridges cross the river. The Black River Bridge at Pocahontas, built in 1934, is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. In May 2015, a new bridge spanning the Black River was opened at Black Rock, replacing the 1949 structure, which had been declared deficient by highway officials in 2010.

Many artifacts, photographs, and historical records showing industry and life on the river are on display at Davidsonville Historic State Park, the Powhatan Courthouse, the Jacksonport Courthouse Museum, the Randolph County Heritage Museum, and the Eddie Mae Herron Center.

For additional information:
Dougan, Michael B. “The Doctrine of Creative Destruction: Ferry and Bridge Law in Arkansas.” Arkansas Historical Quarterly 39 (Summer 1980): 136–158.

Lawrence County, Arkansas: 1815–2001. Paducah, KY: Turner Publishing Company, 2001.

McGinnis, A. C. “Pearl Search Began in 1897.” Independence County Chronicle 9 (July 1968): 25–29.

West, Mabel. “Jacksonport, Arkansas: Its Rise and Decline.” Arkansas Historical Quarterly 9 (Winter 1950): 231–258.


Black River

The Black River has played a significant, but shifting, role in the lives of residents of northeast Arkansas. For the early Native Americans who lived in the area, it was an essential food and transportation source. This remained true for European settlers in the days before roads and railroads. The river was also an essential “highway” for the flatboats and river steamers that transported people and goods to and from the area. The river supported the development of local industry as the means for moving timber from the forests to places such as the Sallee Brothers Handle Mill in Pocahontas (Randolph County), while mussel fishing supplied pearls and mother of pearl for the local button-making industry for many years. While the river no longer functions as a means of transportation, it continues to be an important recreational site for hunting, fishing, hiking, bird watching, boating, and more. Batesville (Independence County) lawyer and writer “Fent” Noland stated in 1839, “The country up White River and the Black is destined to be the finest in Arkansas. Nature has done all she could—man will do the rest.”

The Black River’s source is in southeast Missouri. It is formed from three rivers, flows south, and crosses the Arkansas border in Clay County northeast of Corning. From there, it flows generally southwest and passes through the Dave Donaldson Black River Wildlife Management Area (WMA), through Randolph County to Pocahontas, and down to Davidsonville Historic State Park. It crosses into Lawrence County just above the town of Black Rock and continues southwest to the community of Powhatan (Lawrence County). From there, it flows south through the Shirey Bay–Rainey Brake WMA, crosses the southern border of Lawrence County, and forms the east-west border between Independence and Jackson counties. It finally turns southeast and enters the White River at Jacksonport (Jackson County), just north of Newport (Jackson County). Its Arkansas tributaries are the Little Black, Spring, and Strawberry rivers, and with its connection to the White River, it is part of the Mississippi River watershed. The Black has numerous sharp bends, many with colorful names, such as Deadman and Hole in the Wall in the Davidsonville Historic State Park area, along with the Box Factory, Battle Axe, and Dead Mule bends in the lower course of the river.

The river and the WMAs through which it flows provide abundant opportunities for hunters, fishermen, hikers, and wildlife watchers. The main species of fish within it are largemouth bass, crappie, and catfish. Duck, squirrel, deer, rabbit, and turkey hunting are popular along its course, and both the Donaldson and Shirey Bay WMAs offer fine green tree reservoir (woodland duck pond) habitat. There is also a population of furbearers such as beaver, muskrat, mink, and raccoon. Numerous bald and golden eagles winter around Lake Ashbaugh in the Donaldson WMA and can be sighted on or around the lake from November through February.

The Black and its surrounding area have a fascinating history, being first inhabited by pre-Columbian mound builders, then by the Osage and Cherokee. The first European settlers were French. In the days before railroads penetrated the area, flatboats and steamboats were essential to moving people and goods, offering the only “farm to market” transportation. The first steamboat to go up the Black River to Pocahontas was the Laurel in 1829. Davidsonville, Powhatan, Pocahontas, and Jacksonport were important steamboat ports, and by the turn of the century, some forty-three steamboats traveled the river. One was the Idlewild, which is still in service at Louisville, Kentucky, having been rebuilt and renamed the Belle of Louisville. The first train arrived in Pocahontas in 1896, and the railroads gradually replaced river traffic. As late as the 1920s, however, steamboats and snag boats (used to clear river debris) were still in operation.

In earlier days, the Black River had a large population of river mussels. In 1897, Dr. J. H. Myers found a large ball pearl two miles north of Black Rock. This led to a “pearl rush,” and tent camps sprouted along the river. The shells provided mother of pearl, and Myers, with others, established a button factory at Black Rock three years later. According to Myers, this was the first button factory in the South. Area museums, such as the Randolph County Heritage Museum, have button-making tools and shells from which the buttons were cut. Pearl button manufacturing reached its peak in the mid-1940s. Overharvesting and silt in the river caused by farming and dredging have drastically reduced the mussel population. This, along with a decreased demand for mother of pearl due to the invention of plastic buttons and the zipper, virtually ended the pearling and button industries in the mid-twentieth century. However, a small number of “shellers” still gather mussels. They cut the shells into small pellets of mother of pearl for export to Asia, to be used in the cultured pearl industry.

The river has always been prone to flooding, and crossing it proved a challenge in years past. For many years, people traveling for spring terms of court between Corning and Piggott, the two county seats in Clay County, were forced to ride a train to Poplar Bluff, Missouri, and then catch the next morning’s train to the other courthouse. Flooding has been cited as one cause of the demise of Davidsonville and was partly responsible for a light voter turnout in the area when the proposed Arkansas Constitution of 1918 was defeated at the polls. Flooding has continued to this day, with severe flooding occurring in 2008 and 2011.

In early years, the State of Arkansas had no money to build infrastructure, so counties granted licenses to ferry operators and bridge builders, who privately financed the improvements and charged a toll. The first bridge at Powhatan, a flimsy swing bridge, was so operated. In 1938, Governor Carl Bailey, dedicated to removing all toll bridges in Arkansas, purchased rights to an existing ferry site just up the river. The state then used highway signs to divert traffic from the bridge. Because toll revenue dropped, the owner sued, winning at the trial level. While the case was on appeal, the parties settled, and the state paid the owner $68,000 for the bridge, which was later replaced by a safe structure. Today, five highway and four railroad bridges cross the river. The Black River Bridge at Pocahontas, built in 1934, is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. In May 2015, a new bridge spanning the Black River was opened at Black Rock, replacing the 1949 structure, which had been declared deficient by highway officials in 2010.

Many artifacts, photographs, and historical records showing industry and life on the river are on display at Davidsonville Historic State Park, the Powhatan Courthouse, the Jacksonport Courthouse Museum, the Randolph County Heritage Museum, and the Eddie Mae Herron Center.

For additional information:
Dougan, Michael B. “The Doctrine of Creative Destruction: Ferry and Bridge Law in Arkansas.” Arkansas Historical Quarterly 39 (Summer 1980): 136–158.

Lawrence County, Arkansas: 1815–2001. Paducah, KY: Turner Publishing Company, 2001.

McGinnis, A. C. “Pearl Search Began in 1897.” Independence County Chronicle 9 (July 1968): 25–29.

West, Mabel. “Jacksonport, Arkansas: Its Rise and Decline.” Arkansas Historical Quarterly 9 (Winter 1950): 231–258.


Black River

The Black River has played a significant, but shifting, role in the lives of residents of northeast Arkansas. For the early Native Americans who lived in the area, it was an essential food and transportation source. This remained true for European settlers in the days before roads and railroads. The river was also an essential “highway” for the flatboats and river steamers that transported people and goods to and from the area. The river supported the development of local industry as the means for moving timber from the forests to places such as the Sallee Brothers Handle Mill in Pocahontas (Randolph County), while mussel fishing supplied pearls and mother of pearl for the local button-making industry for many years. While the river no longer functions as a means of transportation, it continues to be an important recreational site for hunting, fishing, hiking, bird watching, boating, and more. Batesville (Independence County) lawyer and writer “Fent” Noland stated in 1839, “The country up White River and the Black is destined to be the finest in Arkansas. Nature has done all she could—man will do the rest.”

The Black River’s source is in southeast Missouri. It is formed from three rivers, flows south, and crosses the Arkansas border in Clay County northeast of Corning. From there, it flows generally southwest and passes through the Dave Donaldson Black River Wildlife Management Area (WMA), through Randolph County to Pocahontas, and down to Davidsonville Historic State Park. It crosses into Lawrence County just above the town of Black Rock and continues southwest to the community of Powhatan (Lawrence County). From there, it flows south through the Shirey Bay–Rainey Brake WMA, crosses the southern border of Lawrence County, and forms the east-west border between Independence and Jackson counties. It finally turns southeast and enters the White River at Jacksonport (Jackson County), just north of Newport (Jackson County). Its Arkansas tributaries are the Little Black, Spring, and Strawberry rivers, and with its connection to the White River, it is part of the Mississippi River watershed. The Black has numerous sharp bends, many with colorful names, such as Deadman and Hole in the Wall in the Davidsonville Historic State Park area, along with the Box Factory, Battle Axe, and Dead Mule bends in the lower course of the river.

The river and the WMAs through which it flows provide abundant opportunities for hunters, fishermen, hikers, and wildlife watchers. The main species of fish within it are largemouth bass, crappie, and catfish. Duck, squirrel, deer, rabbit, and turkey hunting are popular along its course, and both the Donaldson and Shirey Bay WMAs offer fine green tree reservoir (woodland duck pond) habitat. There is also a population of furbearers such as beaver, muskrat, mink, and raccoon. Numerous bald and golden eagles winter around Lake Ashbaugh in the Donaldson WMA and can be sighted on or around the lake from November through February.

The Black and its surrounding area have a fascinating history, being first inhabited by pre-Columbian mound builders, then by the Osage and Cherokee. The first European settlers were French. In the days before railroads penetrated the area, flatboats and steamboats were essential to moving people and goods, offering the only “farm to market” transportation. The first steamboat to go up the Black River to Pocahontas was the Laurel in 1829. Davidsonville, Powhatan, Pocahontas, and Jacksonport were important steamboat ports, and by the turn of the century, some forty-three steamboats traveled the river. One was the Idlewild, which is still in service at Louisville, Kentucky, having been rebuilt and renamed the Belle of Louisville. The first train arrived in Pocahontas in 1896, and the railroads gradually replaced river traffic. As late as the 1920s, however, steamboats and snag boats (used to clear river debris) were still in operation.

In earlier days, the Black River had a large population of river mussels. In 1897, Dr. J. H. Myers found a large ball pearl two miles north of Black Rock. This led to a “pearl rush,” and tent camps sprouted along the river. The shells provided mother of pearl, and Myers, with others, established a button factory at Black Rock three years later. According to Myers, this was the first button factory in the South. Area museums, such as the Randolph County Heritage Museum, have button-making tools and shells from which the buttons were cut. Pearl button manufacturing reached its peak in the mid-1940s. Overharvesting and silt in the river caused by farming and dredging have drastically reduced the mussel population. This, along with a decreased demand for mother of pearl due to the invention of plastic buttons and the zipper, virtually ended the pearling and button industries in the mid-twentieth century. However, a small number of “shellers” still gather mussels. They cut the shells into small pellets of mother of pearl for export to Asia, to be used in the cultured pearl industry.

The river has always been prone to flooding, and crossing it proved a challenge in years past. For many years, people traveling for spring terms of court between Corning and Piggott, the two county seats in Clay County, were forced to ride a train to Poplar Bluff, Missouri, and then catch the next morning’s train to the other courthouse. Flooding has been cited as one cause of the demise of Davidsonville and was partly responsible for a light voter turnout in the area when the proposed Arkansas Constitution of 1918 was defeated at the polls. Flooding has continued to this day, with severe flooding occurring in 2008 and 2011.

In early years, the State of Arkansas had no money to build infrastructure, so counties granted licenses to ferry operators and bridge builders, who privately financed the improvements and charged a toll. The first bridge at Powhatan, a flimsy swing bridge, was so operated. In 1938, Governor Carl Bailey, dedicated to removing all toll bridges in Arkansas, purchased rights to an existing ferry site just up the river. The state then used highway signs to divert traffic from the bridge. Because toll revenue dropped, the owner sued, winning at the trial level. While the case was on appeal, the parties settled, and the state paid the owner $68,000 for the bridge, which was later replaced by a safe structure. Today, five highway and four railroad bridges cross the river. The Black River Bridge at Pocahontas, built in 1934, is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. In May 2015, a new bridge spanning the Black River was opened at Black Rock, replacing the 1949 structure, which had been declared deficient by highway officials in 2010.

Many artifacts, photographs, and historical records showing industry and life on the river are on display at Davidsonville Historic State Park, the Powhatan Courthouse, the Jacksonport Courthouse Museum, the Randolph County Heritage Museum, and the Eddie Mae Herron Center.

For additional information:
Dougan, Michael B. “The Doctrine of Creative Destruction: Ferry and Bridge Law in Arkansas.” Arkansas Historical Quarterly 39 (Summer 1980): 136–158.

Lawrence County, Arkansas: 1815–2001. Paducah, KY: Turner Publishing Company, 2001.

McGinnis, A. C. “Pearl Search Began in 1897.” Independence County Chronicle 9 (July 1968): 25–29.

West, Mabel. “Jacksonport, Arkansas: Its Rise and Decline.” Arkansas Historical Quarterly 9 (Winter 1950): 231–258.


Black River

The Black River has played a significant, but shifting, role in the lives of residents of northeast Arkansas. For the early Native Americans who lived in the area, it was an essential food and transportation source. This remained true for European settlers in the days before roads and railroads. The river was also an essential “highway” for the flatboats and river steamers that transported people and goods to and from the area. The river supported the development of local industry as the means for moving timber from the forests to places such as the Sallee Brothers Handle Mill in Pocahontas (Randolph County), while mussel fishing supplied pearls and mother of pearl for the local button-making industry for many years. While the river no longer functions as a means of transportation, it continues to be an important recreational site for hunting, fishing, hiking, bird watching, boating, and more. Batesville (Independence County) lawyer and writer “Fent” Noland stated in 1839, “The country up White River and the Black is destined to be the finest in Arkansas. Nature has done all she could—man will do the rest.”

The Black River’s source is in southeast Missouri. It is formed from three rivers, flows south, and crosses the Arkansas border in Clay County northeast of Corning. From there, it flows generally southwest and passes through the Dave Donaldson Black River Wildlife Management Area (WMA), through Randolph County to Pocahontas, and down to Davidsonville Historic State Park. It crosses into Lawrence County just above the town of Black Rock and continues southwest to the community of Powhatan (Lawrence County). From there, it flows south through the Shirey Bay–Rainey Brake WMA, crosses the southern border of Lawrence County, and forms the east-west border between Independence and Jackson counties. It finally turns southeast and enters the White River at Jacksonport (Jackson County), just north of Newport (Jackson County). Its Arkansas tributaries are the Little Black, Spring, and Strawberry rivers, and with its connection to the White River, it is part of the Mississippi River watershed. The Black has numerous sharp bends, many with colorful names, such as Deadman and Hole in the Wall in the Davidsonville Historic State Park area, along with the Box Factory, Battle Axe, and Dead Mule bends in the lower course of the river.

The river and the WMAs through which it flows provide abundant opportunities for hunters, fishermen, hikers, and wildlife watchers. The main species of fish within it are largemouth bass, crappie, and catfish. Duck, squirrel, deer, rabbit, and turkey hunting are popular along its course, and both the Donaldson and Shirey Bay WMAs offer fine green tree reservoir (woodland duck pond) habitat. There is also a population of furbearers such as beaver, muskrat, mink, and raccoon. Numerous bald and golden eagles winter around Lake Ashbaugh in the Donaldson WMA and can be sighted on or around the lake from November through February.

The Black and its surrounding area have a fascinating history, being first inhabited by pre-Columbian mound builders, then by the Osage and Cherokee. The first European settlers were French. In the days before railroads penetrated the area, flatboats and steamboats were essential to moving people and goods, offering the only “farm to market” transportation. The first steamboat to go up the Black River to Pocahontas was the Laurel in 1829. Davidsonville, Powhatan, Pocahontas, and Jacksonport were important steamboat ports, and by the turn of the century, some forty-three steamboats traveled the river. One was the Idlewild, which is still in service at Louisville, Kentucky, having been rebuilt and renamed the Belle of Louisville. The first train arrived in Pocahontas in 1896, and the railroads gradually replaced river traffic. As late as the 1920s, however, steamboats and snag boats (used to clear river debris) were still in operation.

In earlier days, the Black River had a large population of river mussels. In 1897, Dr. J. H. Myers found a large ball pearl two miles north of Black Rock. This led to a “pearl rush,” and tent camps sprouted along the river. The shells provided mother of pearl, and Myers, with others, established a button factory at Black Rock three years later. According to Myers, this was the first button factory in the South. Area museums, such as the Randolph County Heritage Museum, have button-making tools and shells from which the buttons were cut. Pearl button manufacturing reached its peak in the mid-1940s. Overharvesting and silt in the river caused by farming and dredging have drastically reduced the mussel population. This, along with a decreased demand for mother of pearl due to the invention of plastic buttons and the zipper, virtually ended the pearling and button industries in the mid-twentieth century. However, a small number of “shellers” still gather mussels. They cut the shells into small pellets of mother of pearl for export to Asia, to be used in the cultured pearl industry.

The river has always been prone to flooding, and crossing it proved a challenge in years past. For many years, people traveling for spring terms of court between Corning and Piggott, the two county seats in Clay County, were forced to ride a train to Poplar Bluff, Missouri, and then catch the next morning’s train to the other courthouse. Flooding has been cited as one cause of the demise of Davidsonville and was partly responsible for a light voter turnout in the area when the proposed Arkansas Constitution of 1918 was defeated at the polls. De overstromingen gaan tot op de dag van vandaag door, met ernstige overstromingen in 2008 en 2011.

In de beginjaren had de staat Arkansas geen geld om infrastructuur te bouwen, dus verleenden provincies vergunningen aan veerbootmaatschappijen en bruggenbouwers, die de verbeteringen particulier financierden en tol eisten. De eerste brug bij Powhatan, een dunne draaibrug, werd zo bediend. In 1938 kocht gouverneur Carl Bailey, die zich toelegde op het verwijderen van alle tolbruggen in Arkansas, rechten op een bestaande veerbootplaats net boven de rivier. De staat gebruikte vervolgens snelwegborden om het verkeer van de brug om te leiden. Omdat de tolopbrengsten daalden, spande de eigenaar een rechtszaak aan en won op proefniveau. Terwijl de zaak in hoger beroep was, schikten de partijen zich en betaalde de staat de eigenaar $ 68.000 voor de brug, die later werd vervangen door een veilige structuur. Tegenwoordig steken vijf snelweg- en vier spoorbruggen de rivier over. De Black River Bridge bij Pocahontas, gebouwd in 1934, staat vermeld in het nationaal register van historische plaatsen. In mei 2015 werd een nieuwe brug over de Black River geopend bij Black Rock, ter vervanging van de structuur uit 1949, die in 2010 door wegbeheerders als gebrekkig was verklaard.

Veel artefacten, foto's en historische documenten die de industrie en het leven op de rivier laten zien, zijn te zien in het Davidsonville Historic State Park, het Powhatan Courthouse, het Jacksonport Courthouse Museum, het Randolph County Heritage Museum en het Eddie Mae Herron Center.

Voor aanvullende informatie:
Dougan, Michael B. "The Doctrine of Creative Destruction: Ferry en Bridge Law in Arkansas." Historisch kwartaaloverzicht van Arkansas 39 (zomer 1980): 136-158.

Lawrence County, Arkansas: 1815-2001. Paducah, KY: Uitgeverij Turner, 2001.

McGinnis, A.C. "Pearl Search begon in 1897." Independence County Chronicle 9 (juli 1968): 25-29.

West, Mabel. "Jacksonport, Arkansas: de opkomst en ondergang." Historisch kwartaaloverzicht van Arkansas 9 (winter 1950): 231-258.


Bekijk de video: Black River Pearl Loosie Nation Official Video (Mei 2022).